Breaking News

Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Wimbledon Living

House under construction
Wimbledon offers its own brand of quaintness with its historical village retaining some of its medieval roots, and the more modern town, offering properties from the Victorian, Edwardian and more modern and contemporary builds. The village has up-scale boutiques, wine bars, restaurants and caf'es with thriving businesses. Wimbledon, which is part of the borough of Merton, is under ten miles away from central London on the south western side of London.

Archaeological evidence dates Wimbledon back to ancient Roman and Greek times, an iron fortress was constructed on a hill on Wimbledon common, this area is now referred to as Caesar's Camp. A map in 1786 of London showed the area now known as Wimbledon, used to be called "Wimbleton" and a charter that was signed in 967 by King Edgar the Peaceful, which called the village by the name of "Wimbedounyng".

It wasn't until the 1st Earl of Exeter, Sir Thomas Cecil, was granted Wimbledon by Queen Elizabeth 1, did the village really get on the map. The Earl was responsible for making significant improvements to the road that led into London in 1588, he also built Wimbledon house, which was often visited by James the 1st and Queen Elizabeth 1st . The house was eventually destroyed in a fire in 1784. Sir Thomas Cecil's improvements gained him the name of the 'Maker of Wimbledon'.

Regular visits by royals to the village gave the area into higher social status and more homes were constructed. Robert Bell from the East India Company moved here in 1613, who built Eagle House and in 1750, West Side House was built. Later in the 19th century these houses were bought and refurbished by wealthy businessmen from London who turned them in to homes as it was only a short commute to central London.

The railway in 1838 was the next thing to help transform Wimbledon and accelerated its growth. Larger Victorian families seeking bigger homes with gardens moved to the area and these houses needed to be sizeable enough to accommodate servants, from gardeners and housekeepers. By the 1850's street planning became important with semi-detached properties and terraced house, and along with this, the building of shops to keep the local area supplied.

The 20th and 21st century saw the increase in growth to the area with its appealing country setting and proximity to London. As a thriving capital city, London has the best of both worlds, with Central London offering lucrative work and Wimbledon, a release from the hustle and bustle of a busy night life.

Wimbledon common with its woodlands, ponds and vast green areas are a place for visitors and locals to enjoy. Property prices though out the different areas have exploded in recent years to become one of the highest increased areas in London. Recently the New Wimbledon Theatre offers an added flavour to Wimbledon's night life.

There are many local landmarks that can also be visited, including the The Baitul Futuh Mosque (one of Western Europe's largest), Wimbledon common windmill, St Mary's Church with strong connections to Lord Admiral Nelson and not forgetting, Henman Hill and the All England Lawn Tennis Club.

We have a wide selection of premium 1 bedroom flats for rent in Wimbledon and are committed to delivering quality service to our clients. If you are looking to move or would like to learn more about flats to let in Wimbledon then we can help. go to our website to find our contact information.
Designed By