Breaking News

Saturday, 2 March 2013

The Development and History of Kilburn

Kilburn, which was known as Kilbourne hundreds of years ago, was a historical settlement recorded to be in Hampstead Parish. Part of it is also recorded to be in the Holborn region. History, however, appears to have contradictions over the exact location of this important settlement. Here is some of the history and development of Kilburn.

Historical records that show that Kilburn lies in Hampstead Parish as well as Holborn are partly correct. Only a section of Kilburn is situated in Hampstead as other areas especially the South-western section, along the Edgware Road, falls in Willesden, which is the neighbouring parish. The records once indicated it to be two miles from Edgware town.

The origin of Kilburn traces back to the reign of Bluff King Hal. During this time, the areas was just very small with only about 20 houses. The houses were established around the worship house and the king's house. They are remembered through two road names, Priory and Abby, which remind people of the history of the area.

Brick wall
Free image:
With time, the region grew and started spilling to the other parishes. In total, about four parishes had parts of Kilburn in them. These included the initial and legitimate Hampstead and Willesden. At one time, it also expanded to Marylebone and Paddington.

What is presently known as St. John's Wood, the neighbouring district in the North of Harrow Road, the section extending away from Primrose Hill, as well as Regent's Park are seen to be subdivided into two main sections. The Maida Vale Road that passes through the area separates them. Maida Vale Road is named because of the famous 1806 Maida battle, which is part of the reason the name is so famous.

The name 'bourne' which means a brook or river is one of the reasons the name came about. Other areas which use this root are Tybourne and Mary-le-Bourne, also named for rivers. Now there is a small stream which flows down from Hampstead in the South.

Many years ago there was a river which extended to regions in Bayswater and the West End including the Uxbridge Road passage feeding the Serpentine's Hyde park section. Now this river, bridged over to act as a sewer, has disappeared completely.

St. Augustine Church near Edgware Road Station on Park Road in Kilburn is one of the major historical Christian structures in London. This church is one of the largest after Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's Cathedral. St. Augustine has a sitting capacity of 1000 worshipers. Mr. Pearson commissioned the designs of the Gothic church in 1872. The St. Peter sisterhood once helped in offering mission work, education and attending to the sick.

The next part of Kilburn's history is more secular than religious. This was because of the neighbourhood gardens, mineral waters and pleasure ground. Kilburn had a famous well which was said to have healing waters towards the end of the sixteenth century. There is now a residential building in the place of the well.

Designed By